The Guide to EPO Formalities
Advanced course for Administrators, Assistants and Paralegals
- Formal Requirements, Fees & Time Limits
- Search/Substantive Examination
- Loss of Rights and Legal Remedies
- Entry into the National/Regional Phase, EURO-PCT
- Appeal, Review, Filing Requirements, Limitation, Revocation and more
- New Rules on Opposition Procedure Entered into Force in 2016
This distinguishes our event
Aims and objectivesThis intensive two-day course will aid participants in the competent preparation of an application for filing before the EPO and provide guidance on subsequent administrative aspects such as the documentation required on filing, procedural steps, monitoring of time limits and fee payments. The seminar aims to give a practical, indepth understanding of the European Patent System. Participants will have the opportunity to raise questions on all aspects of the procedure as it applies during the international phase and on entry into the national/ regional phase. Commonly arising problems and practical solutions will be discussed.
Who should attend?
- Office Managers
- Formalities Managers
- Legal Assistants
Detailed programmeBoth days: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Member states, legal basis
- Electronic systems of the EPO
- Formal requirements
- Date of Filing
- Reference to a previously filed application
- Subsequently filing of documents concerning the application
- Languages/Fees on filing - Amended Rule 6 EPC
- Designation of Contracting States
- Divisional Application - Amended Rule 36 EPC
- Objective of the Search
- Extended European Search Report
- Reaction to Extended European Search Report
- News (Rule 70b and Rule 141 EPC)
- General overview
- Time limits, fees
- Further processing
- Request for a Decision
- Request for Re-establishment of rights
- Start of/Request for examination
- Discussion with the applicant
- Examination reports/time limits/ extension requests (1th April 2014)
- Grant of a patent/Refusal/Withdrawal
- Legal institution opposition against EP
- Filing requirements
- Outline of the opposition procedure
- Oral proceedings and taking of evidence
- Intervention (special form of opposition)
- Decisions in opposition proceedings
- Handwritten amendments filed in opposition as of the 1th May 2016
- Early certainty: optimised and streamlined workflow as of the 1th July 2016
- Legal institution limitation or revocation of European patents
- Filing requirements
- Outline of the procedures
- Decisions in limitation and revocation proceedings
- General overview/Filing requirements
- Interlocutory revision/Appeal procedure
Ralph Weber joined the EPO in Munich in 1999 as a Formalities Officer in the Opposition Procedure. Since October 2006 he is carrying out the tasks of a Formalities Specialist in the Directorate Practice and Procedure.
Christian Meisinger received his Diploma in Mechanical Engineering at Munich University of Applied Sciences (TU München) in the year 2000. Professional work for more than two years as a Systems Engineer in Germany and Switzerland provided him with indepth technical expertise. In 2003 Mr Meisinger joined the law firm Grünecker. He became a partner of the law firm Grünecker in 2012 and is responsible for a working division in the mechanical engineering department of Grünecker.
DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal StationOosterdokstraat 4
NL 1011 Amsterdam
Phone: +31 20 5300800
Fax: +31 20 5300801
Delegates will receive a course material folder containing comprehensive documentation provided by the speakers, which will be a valuable source of reference for the future.
UPC Scenarios: Case Studies on the New Unified Patent Court
This course will be held by two experienced lawyers - one with a UK and one with a Continental law backround- will take you through the UPC proceedings assuming the role of plaintiff lawyer on the one hand and defendant lawyer ont the other.
20.10.2017 in München
Added Subject-Matter in EPO Applications and Patents (Art. 123(2) EPO)How to Avoid Pitfalls!
The concept of added subject-matter for an application or a patent under Art. 123(2) EPC is a very important concept in European patent law.
27.10.2017 in Amsterdam
Sufficiency of Disclosure in EPO Applications (Art. 83 EPO)Don't Say Too Much or Too Little!
Our speakers will help you to gain an in-depth understanding of Art 83 EPC. After the course, you will be able to better balance the needs for disclosing the necessary information for the European patent application and keeping important features of the invention secret for other jurisdictions.
26.10.2017 in Amsterdam
US Patent FormalitiesThe Guide to the Formal Requirements
This course will provide a detailed guidance to the formal requirements of US patent prosecution.
29.09.2017 in Amsterdam
16th International Trademark Conference 2017
FORUM Institut’s 16th Trademark provides trademark practitioners from around the world with the opportunity to meet EUIPO examiners and international trademark law experts and facilitates fruitful discussions.
08. - 09.11.2017 in Alicante