2.5 days intensive winter special course
- Change IP management away from ad-hoc approaches
- DIPS Matrix: analyzing relevant facts, generating options for a strategic choice
- DIPS Methodology: making IP plans with a multi-disciplinary approach (competition mapping, SWOT, metrics, planning)
- Opportunity to work either on paper (forms) or with online tool
- Customizing DIPS tools to your (client’s) company
- Practical tips based on actual implementation of the tools with respect to (client’s) company’s IP maturity
Aims and objectivesDo you need to set up an IP strategy plan? Do you need to convince executives of the plan? Our interactive course provides you with the necessary tools. After a systematic overview of IP strategy (options, value, content), our speakers give you two practical tools: (1) an IP Matrix and (2) a step-by-step methodology called DIPS (Design IP Strategy) to outline a strategic plan for IP (the emphasis is on patents). An online tool is also introduced to make implementing DIPS easier.
The IP Matrix is the starting point. The DIPS methodology provides techniques to map the competition and to benchmark the performance of your current IP portfolio. After this practical and hands-on course, you will be able to apply the IP Matrix and the DIPS methodology immediately to your daily practice and you will know how to set up, present, implement and monitor an IP plan step by step.
This course is especially interesting for those working in IP, patent, innovation, R&D and business development departments as well as patent attorneys from private practice, also acting as external/outsourced IP managers for their SME clients.
- Fundamentals on IP management and strategy. Compare opportunistic vs. proactive. Key strategy models e.g. Porter
- Learn the DIPS Matrix as strategy-thinking tool to integrate business, innovation and IP
- Teamwork: apply the DIPS Matrix to actual cross-industry scenarios. Takeaways to reapply to own environment
- Build a strategic plan. Learn a step-by-step methodology to link IP with R&D and business. Link to the Matrix
- Apply to case study - 'renewable energy'
- Strategy-making as a project: insights from project management, scoping, and team setting
- IP mapping techniques: Analysis of patent data (lifecycle, competition etc.)
- Revisit the Matrix through the competition landscape
- Link to the value chain
- Gap analysis with the Matrix: Comparing business vision to competition/own IA
- Derive actions to bridge current-desired IP position
- SWOT analysis using data formatted with Matrix to realize alignment
- Estimate budget needs for R&D and IP
- Define KPIs to report future success. Assess IP Returns (first patent filings, IA profit etc.)
- Prioritize actions to define an IP roadmap. Make different scenarios.
- Integrating outputs of Steps 1-4 into a practical, rationalized plan. Use the Matrix as common framework
- Positioning, actions and measurement
- Differentiate core vs. non-core activity for higher performance
- Prepare the presentation of your plan to management.
- Teams present their plan to the group and get feedback (online questionnaire - a collective learning report will be issued after the seminar for each team, with benchmark against more than 200+ prior participants)
- Experience sharing from real examples
- Identifying and facing complexity in situations. Flexibility of DIPS tools. Quick introduction to DIPS Online
- Teamwork: identify generic situations, first diagnostic, and design solutions using DIPS tools. Present and group discussion
- Gradual approach to raise awareness re strategic approach
- Final recommendations and tips
Dr. Arnaud Gasnier is CEO, a Senior Consultant and Founder of Patentopolis BV specialized in training/certifications, solutions and consulting in the area of IP management. Arnaud has practiced globally in various IP (patents, trademarks) departments and in various roles (Patent Attorney, Licensing Associate, Portfolio Manager, Associate General Counsel, Assistant Director) for the last 20 years, e.g. for Swatch, Philips, Dutch contract research organization TNO, and Adidas. He is the author of 'The Patenting Paradox' and regular speaker at global conferences and seminars especially in the area of strategic IP management. Arnaud is regularly awarded, recently with IAM 300 - The World's Leading IP Strategists (2017, 2018).
Romano Beitsma is a Consultant for Patentopolis BV. He has over 25 years of experience in the field of IP, having worked at companies and patent firms, both in the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Phone: +49 89 242078-0
Fax: +49 89 242078-150
We will send you a reader with details and instructions prior to the course. Thus, you can prepare the case studies and other assignments and get the most out of the course. 2 to 3 hours of preparation is suggested.
The Munich Pre-Christmas Courses are a special highlight. They provide participants with an atmosphere that is just as extraordinary as it is relaxed. You will be able to focus completely on the course, then relax in the evening, enjoying the city’s unique pre-Christmas flair. A tour of one of Munich’s famous Christmas markets and a joint dinner with attendees and speakers in one of the city’s traditional restaurants is an integral part of the Munich Pre-Christmas Courses.
- Free copy of the textbook "Patenting Paradox". Explore current practices of IP management, bottlenecks in companies resulting in limited value extraction, and possible solutions.
- Personalized collective feedback report for each team, based on individual feedback given during Day 3, and benchmarked against 200+ former participants.
- Free access to online portal DIPS for 1 month after the seminar. Online DIPS is an online platform to help companies, as well as consultancy and law firms, to design strategic plans for innovation generation, protection and exploitation. It helps collect and format multidisciplinary data on the (client’s) company. It provides support for data analysis using Patentopolis proven frameworks. It guides decision-making to elaborate a plan ready for implementation.
- Discount for certification DIPS: You can keep the focus with an in-house project after the seminar. During that project, you apply the Patentopolis’ frameworks to your own case, with guidance, review and final approval by the Patentopolis team. You start when you want. The recommended duration is 3 months. Upon completion, you receive a certification from Patentopolis.
Patentopolis B.V. Patentopolis BV is a unique provider specialized in innovation and IP management. We provide: learning solutions with innovative models and crossdisciplinarity tools; online solutions for daily management support; and consulting services for operational and strategic management of IP/innovation. We have a global presence and serve a great diversity of clients (corporates, SMEs, IP firms, consultancies, research organizations, patent offices and more). Patentopolis is regularly recognized with IP management firm awards from its peers in the industry.
'What I liked the most from this 2.5-day course on IP strategy is the methodology DIPS for strategy making since it is very
practical. This Patentopolis methodology gives a path to follow where to start, as well as how to analyse data and
interact with other functions during the planning phase and after.'
'IP strategy is essential for business success, and I don’t want to rely on just gut feeling or hope as a strategy. Therefore, it
makes sense to follow an effective methodology like DIPS of Patentopolis, since this is a well-structured, clear and logical
approach. Highly recommended!'
'This 2.5-day course on IP strategy is an important milestone for me and my company. The tools provided during this extensive course will allow me to apply the methodology DIPS of Patentopolis in IP strategy project for my company. I will recommend this course mainly to IP managers having limited IP experience with strategy-making. It gives a lot of materials on the methodology DIPS and also an opportunity for data crunching, which is exactly what I was looking for.’