Essentials - Tools - Implementation in Practice
- Essentials of patent valuation: aims, factors, approaches
- Value optimization of IP
- Practice of patent valuation: analysis of situation; developing a model; choice of method
- Business essentials and information sources for patent valuation
- Workshop: elaborate case study
This distinguishes our event
Aims and objectivesThere are many situations in practical IP management in which companies and their consultants need to proceed to the valuation of patents and patent portfolios: M&A, patent purchase, strategic IP portfolio management and more. Therefore it is important to know how to choose the appropriate patent valuation approaches. Our experienced speakers will help you to tackle patent valuation challenges. You will have the opportunity to do sample calculations in our workshop. The case study will allow you to learn the practice of patent valuation and to get to know solutions for typical problems.
- Heads and members of IP/patent/ R&D Departments
- Patent and IP attorneys in private practice
- IP/IA valuation analysts and managers
09:00 - 17:00
- Target customers of patent valuation and their needs
- Valuation aims and motives
- Factors influencing patent value
- Valuation approaches and methods
- Patents vs patent portfolios: relevant characteristics
- Adoption of actual norms and standards
- Patent valuation profession, service and market needs in Europe
- IP value creation in the business model
- Value creation from different patent functions
- Value oriented claim design
- Developing a valuation model step by step
- Analysis of the valuation situation
- Development of valuation scenarios
- Choosing the adequate valuation method
- Definition and quantification of valuation parameters
- Patent valuation as investment appraisal
- Business valuation formulas; implementation and risk parameters
- Sources of necessary patent valuation information
- Information processing in the particular patent valuation case
- Presentation of the case study
- Development of appropriate valuation models
- Identifying corresponding valuation parameters
- Deducing valuation information from external data
- Implementation of the valuation in Excel
Since 1999 Prof. Dr. Alexander J. Wurzer has been advising international clients as a consultant on strategic IP management in various projects. His professional focus is on strategy development in the field of corporate IP management, its corporation-wide implementation and the value-oriented design of IP as well as the valuation of IP assets. He is Associate Professor at CEIPI and holds lectures in Patent Valuation at numerous international universities and institutions. He is also Chairman of the DIN committee for the standardization of patent valuation (DIN 77100), member of the group of experts on 'IP Valuation' of the European Commission and internationally recognized expert for IP valuation in a FRAND context and licensing transactions.
Theo Grünewald is an IP valuation expert with more than 10 years of practical experience. He is a member of the German standardization committee that set up the general principles for monetary patent valuation (DIN 77100) and co-author of several books on this subject.
Phone: +49 89 4803-4444
Fax: +49 89 4488-277
Valuation as on your desk - bring your notebook with Excel!
A copy of the speakers' standard reference 'Valuation of Patents', worth 216 € retail price!
"I think the course is good for engineers."
Vestel Elektronik Sanayi ve Ticaret A.S., Manisa (Turkey)
(Euroean Patent Attorney)
(Chief Executive Officer)
Attendees will learn more on inter partes review and post-grant review and further post-grant procedures in comparison to EPO proceedings. Discuss with the speakers strategies and best practices for taking advantage of the new procedures as well as how to defend your IP when your company or your client find themselves in front of the PTAB.
21.03.2019 in München
Our speakers will suggest authoritative answers to key problems of EU design law and give an update on most recent case-law.
19.03.2019 in Amsterdam
First-hand update for patent practitioners & EQE candidates: Each year the boards of appeal of the European Patent Office hand down more than 2000 decisions. These decisions set the standard for interpreting and applying the European Patent Convention (EPC).
20.03.2019 in Amsterdam
The hands-on training programme will provide attendees with detailed guidance to the formal requirements of the PCT and information on the regulations related to the PCT.
28. - 29.03.2019 in Amsterdam
Our speakers will show you strategies for an IP Due Diligence. You will learn how an IP Due Diligence can be conducted efficiently. You will be able to test your Patent Due Diligence skills by the means of practical exercises under the guidance of the speakers.
27.03.2019 in München