2 day comprehensive course covering all aspects
- Pre-licensing considerations
- Anatomy of a license - Typical clauses
- Commercial use of IP rights: 25% rule and more
- EU competition rules for technology license agreements
- Rating and valuation of IP rights
- Licensing Business Simulation
This distinguishes our event
Aims and objectivesObtaining protection for intellectual property is only the beginning. In order to take full commercial advantage of this protection it is necessary to be aware of the opportunities offered by successful licensing of such IP rights. This course will outline the principles of licensing and examine every stage, from taking the decision to license, through negotiation to an in-depth analysis of an international license to what happens after the agreement has been signed. The course is technology non-specific.
- Technical and non-technical rights
- Licensing of know-how
- Basic functions of IPR
- Processes, strategies
- Exclusive, sole and non-exclusive licenses
- Negative and compulsory licenses
- Fundamental legal differences
- Different possibilities of approach
- Why license at all?
- The role of a licensing professional
- Preparation of a licensing negotiation
- Term sheet, non-disclosure agreement, other preliminary agreements
- Identification of valuable IP
- Carrot/stick licensing
- Cross-licensing/license pools
- Forms of payments: fixed amounts, royalties, minimums, caps
- Accounting, royalty reporting, audit
- Financial effect of warranties and indemnities, tax issues
- Appropriate consideration - 25% rule
- Legal Regulations
- Kinds of agreements covered
- Market Thresholds
- Hardcore restrictions
- Excluded restrictions
- Fields of application
- Patent and legal criteria
- Technical criteria
- Economic and business criteria
- Patent strategy
- Case studies
- Identification of the Parties, recitals, definitions
- Obligations of licensor and licensee
- International aspects
- Termination, expiration
- Disputes resolution, arbitration, ADR
- Force majeure
- Miscellaneous 'boilerplate' clauses
- Warranties, liabilities, indemnification
- Improvements and related technology (grant back clauses)
He is a German Patent Attorney and European Patent and Trademark Attorney with his office at Munich, as a partner of Boehmert & Boehmert. His technical background (as well as PhD degree) is in physics. He teaches Intellectual Property Law as an Honorary Professor at the University of Bremen, Germany, as a Lecturer at the Munich Intellectual Property Law Center (MIPLC), Munich, Germany, and as a Visiting Professor as well as a Lecturer at several further universities in both Asia and U.S.A.. He is a Past-President of LES International and of LES Germany. He has received the Gold Medal of LESI in 2005 and has been inducted into the IP Hall of Fame. Furthermore, he is a member of the EPO's Standing Advisory Committee (SACEPO).
Dr. Huber is an international intellectual property expert with decades long experience. As former Senior Vice President of Robert Bosch GmbH and Head of Corporate Intellectual Property he was responsible for nearly 10 years for the global intellectual property activities, which included all licensing activities of the Bosch Group. He is a visiting lecturer of the Law Faculty of University of Tübingen/Germany on Intellectual Property Law.
NL 1012 Amsterdam
Phone: +31 20 62 12 223
Fax: +31 20 62 75 245
This course will lead participants through all essential steps in preparing for Oral Proceedings. The first part of the day is devoted to the patent granting procedure and opposition. The second part will prepare you for a better presentation before the Boards of Appeal. The day will be completed with case studies and role simulations guided by our excellent speakers.
04. - 05.06.2019 in Amsterdam
This course provides drafting and negotiating advice for EU practitioners, with precise references to existing US law.
04. - 05.06.2019 in Heidelberg
Computer-implemented inventions are now wide-spread in areas such as telecommunications, automotive or medical engineering. Drafting patent claims and IP strategies for software innovations show considerable differences in detail. Learn the particularities and train to draft better claims for software innovations!
06.06.2019 in Amsterdam
Learn how to write software patent applications which get granted and are infringed upon! This course will give you the best practical tips to improve your skills in drafting claims for software patents. Apply your knowledge in a practical test including feedback from our speaker, an experienced litigation expert.
07.06.2019 in Amsterdam
Learn in this hands-on course how to improve your patent portfolio management skills.
07. - 08.05.2019 in Amsterdam