Recent Decisions of the EPO Boards of Appeal in Biotechnology and Biopharmaceuticals
- Recent patentability decisions
- Recent procedural decisions
- Biotech Case Law including decisions on plants, stem cells, antibodies, diagnostics, etc.
- Report period 2016 - 2018 & forthcoming 2019
Aims and objectivesThe most important published and unpublished decisions of the Boards of Appeal in the field of biopharmaceuticals and biotechnology will be presented. The panelists will discuss, in particular, the consequences of these decisions on patent practice.
The panelists offer the combined experience of one of the most experienced judges in the field of biopharmaceuticals at the European Patent Office and one of the most eminent Patent Attorneys practicing exclusively in the field of biotechnology and biopharmaceuticals. Thus, an informed presentation of the decisions with a focus on the impact on practice is guaranteed.
- Heads and employees of patent departments
- Patent Attorneys and Patent Engineers/ Scientists
- Attorneys at Law
- Patent managers and patent experts
- Patient groups, route of administration, dosage regimen, mechanisms of action, avoiding side effects, plausibility
Dr. Hans-Rainer Jaenichen has been a partner at Vossius & Partner, Patent Attorneys and Attorneys at Law, since 1989. He holds a doctorate in biology and is a qualified European and German patent attorney. He has authored numerous publications on intellectual property law and is the author of the book ‘From Clones to Claims’ (January 2016, sixth edition).
In 2003 Gabriele Alt joined Technical Board of Appeal 3304, which deals mainly with appeals in the field of biopharmaceuticals, including antibodies and their second medical uses, and also plants; since 2014 she has been chair of this Board. Before joining the EPO Ms Alt studied biology in Erlangen and Strasbourg, with a focus on virology and botany.
Phone: +49 69 506070-0
Fax: +49 69 506070-555