The Guide to EPO Formalities
Advanced course for administrators, assistants and paralegals
- Formal Requirements, Fees & Time Limits
- Search/Substantive Examination
- Loss of Rights and Legal Remedies
- Entry into the National/Regional Phase, EURO-PCT
- Appeal, Review, Filing Requirements, Limitation, Revocation and more
- New Rules on Opposition Procedure Entered into Force in 2019
This distinguishes our event
Aims and objectivesThis intensive two-day course will aid participants in the competent preparation of an application for filing before the EPO and provide guidance on subsequent administrative aspects such as the documentation required on filing, procedural steps, monitoring of time limits and fee payments.
The seminar aims to give a practical, in-depth understanding of the European Patent System. Participants will have the opportunity to raise questions on all aspects of the European patent granting procedure including the entry into the European phase. Commonly arising problems and practical solutions will be discussed.
- Member states, legal basis
- Electronic systems of the EPO
- Formal requirements
- Date of filing
- Reference to a previously filed application
- Subsequently filing of documents concerning the application
- Languages/fees on filing
- Designation of contracting states
- Divisional application
- Objective of the search
- Extended european search report
- Reaction to extended european search report
- General overview
- Time limits, fees
- Further processing
- Request for a decision
- Request for re-establishment of rights
- Start of/request for examination
- Discussion with the applicant
- Examination reports/time limits/ extension requests (1th April 2014)
- Grant of a patent/refusal/withdrawal
- Legal institution opposition against EP
- Filing requirements
- Outline of the opposition procedure
- Oral proceedings and taking of evidence
- Intervention (special form of opposition)
- Decisions in opposition proceedings
- Handwritten amendments filed in opposition as of the 1th May 2016
- Early certainty: optimised and streamlined workflow as of the 1th July 2016
- Legal institution limitation or revocation of European patents
- Filing requirements
- Outline of the procedures
- Decisions in limitation and revocation proceedings
- General overview/filing requirements
- Interlocutory revision/appeal procedure
Nikolay Indiov was born in Bulgaria. He holds a Master Degree in Philology (University Plovdiv, Bulgaria) and a Certificate in EU studies. Furthermore he was awarded a 'Diplôme d'Université en Droite de la Propriété Intellectuelle' from the University of Strasbourg. Since 2003 he is working with the European Patent Office. He started in the Patent Administration - Receiving Section and Search and afterwards worked in the directorates 'Practice and Procedures' as well as 'Patent Law' where he was dealing with EP and PCT procedural cases. He recently joined the PCT Affairs Department as a Legal Administration Officer.
Hans Looijen joined the European Patent Office in Munich, GE in January 1991 as a Formalities Officer. He is specialised in the EPO procedures Substantive Examination, PCT chapter II and Opposition. Under the BEST project (Bring Examination and Search Together) and internal reorganisation of the EPO, Hans Looijen was transferred to the EPO's offices in The Hague, NL in 2002. There he was assigned with the implementation of the opposition procedure for the Berlin and The Hague offices. In this capacity Hans Looijen has acquired considerable knowledge of the opposition procedure as well as of the appeal procedures before the EPO. In 2005 he joined the Department Practice and Procedures where he continued as an expert for the opposition procedure and in which function he advised and contributed to the streamlining of this procedure. In 2013 he was offered to join Principal Directorate Quality Management as a Quality Assurance Expert in which position he contributed to the implementation of a quality management system within the EPO and its ISO 9001 certification. In 2014 Hans Looijen became a certified Quality Management Systems Lead Auditor to the British Standards Institution (BSI), UK. Currently his tasks as a Quality Assurance Expert in Directorate Quality Management include amongst others process auditing, maintenance of the EPO's nonconforming product procedures as well as the tools related to it. He is also acting as a facilitator for corrective and preventive actions related to the various EPO procedures in close cooperation with the EPO's operational departments. Mr Looijen graduated at Florida International University, Miami, US in 1982.
Nähere Informationen finden Sie hier.
NL 2332 KG Amsterdam / Leiden
Phone: +31(0) 71 535 5555
Fax: +31(0) 71 53 55 553
Delegates will receive a course material folder containing comprehensive documentation provided by the speakers, which will be a valuable source of reference for the future.
- 'Learning on the job is fine but with this course the red line is a thicker line - all steps are in correct order and the time limits make a lot more sense!'
- 'Must be visited!'
- 'Very clear and understandable!'
- 'A clear view about the EP procedure!'
IP Strategy! - the interactive course which helps you setting up convincing IP strategy plans.
26. - 28.11.2019 in München
Learn in this hands-on course how to improve your patent portfolio management skills. Get more information and register here!
21. - 22.11.2019 in Amsterdam
This course will lead participants through all essential steps in preparing for Oral Proceedings. The first part of the day is devoted to the patent granting procedure and opposition. The second part will prepare you for a better presentation before the Boards of Appeal. The day will be completed with a mock trial guided by our experienced speakers.
28. - 29.11.2019 in Heidelberg
This seminar shall provide a sound overview about different local laws in important countries in EU and beyond with respect to employee invention rights. It shall enable the participants to address complex situations when designing and negotiating agreements for cross-border R&D.
28.11.2019 in München
The 9th edition of this conference offers you once again the most recent developments in IP for the seed industry and the breeders.
28. - 29.11.2019 in Amsterdam