Essentials - Tools - Implementation in Practice
- Essentials of patent valuation: aims, factors, approaches
- Value optimization of IP
- Practice of patent valuation: analysis of situation; developing a model; choice of method
- Business essentials and information sources for patent valuation
- Workshop: elaborate case study
This distinguishes our event
Aims and objectivesThere are many situations in practical IP management in which companies and their consultants need to proceed to the valuation of patents and patent portfolios: M&A, patent purchase, strategic IP portfolio management and more. Therefore it is important to know how to choose the appropriate patent valuation approaches. Our experienced speakers will help you to tackle patent valuation challenges. You will have the opportunity to do sample calculations in our workshop. The case study will allow you to learn the practice of patent valuation and to get to know solutions for typical problems.
09:00 - 17:00
- Target customers of patent valuation and their needs
- Valuation aims and motives
- Factors influencing patent value
- Valuation approaches and methods
- Patents vs patent portfolios: relevant characteristics
- Adoption of actual norms and standards
- Patent valuation profession, service and market needs in Europe
- IP value creation in the business model
- Value creation from different patent functions
- Value oriented claim design
- Developing a valuation model step by step
- Analysis of the valuation situation
- Development of valuation scenarios
- Choosing the adequate valuation method
- Definition and quantification of valuation parameters
- Patent valuation as investment appraisal
- Business valuation formulas; implementation and risk parameters
- Sources of necessary patent valuation information
- Information processing in the particular patent valuation case
- Presentation of the case study
- Development of appropriate valuation models
- Identifying corresponding valuation parameters
- Deducing valuation information from external data
- Implementation of the valuation in Excel
Prof. Dr. Alexander J. Wurzer advises on strategic IP management since 1999. His professional focus is, among others, the valuation of IP assets. He is Professor at CEIPI and holds lectures (in Patent Valuation) at numerous international universities and institutions. He is also Chairman of the German committee for the standardization of patent valuation (DIN 77100), member of the group of experts on IP Valuation of the European Commission and internationally recognized expert for IP valuation in a FRAND context and licensing transactions.
Theo Grünewald is an IP valuation expert with more than 10 years of practical experience. He is a member of the German standardization committee that set up the general principles for monetary patent valuation (DIN 77100) and co-author of several books on this subject.
Phone: +49 89 9232-0
Fax: +49 89 9232-6837
Valuation as on your desk - bring your notebook with Excel!
A copy of the speakers' standard reference 'Valuation of Patents', worth 216 € retail price!
(Euroean Patent Attorney)
(Chief Executive Officer)
"I think the course is good for engineers."
Vestel Elektronik Sanayi ve Ticaret A.S., Manisa (Turkey)