Hands-on Training Course: Essential PCT Formalities
Comprehensive training course for IP administrators
- Introduction - What is the PCT?
- Filing an international application
- Various procedural steps; correcting errors
- International and supplementary international search
- International preliminary examination
- Latest developments in the PCT system
This distinguishes our event
Aims and objectivesThe hands-on training programme will provide attendees with detailed guidance, using actual letters and communications from real files to illustrate the essential formal requirements of the PCT. After introducing the system, our expert will guide the group through a practical exercise in which a filing is prepared step-by-step. Options such as where to file, whether an agent is required, when to file and the fees to be paid are discussed, as well as how to fill in the application form. Attendees will learn about the content of official communications between filing and national and regional phase entry, as well as important deadlines to comply with.
The course refers to daily practice, identifying the steps to correct mistakes, and highlighting critical information that should be extracted from official PCT communications. It is tailored to those who want to become acquainted with the practical aspects of PCT. By the end of this course, attendees will be able to apply their knowledge and complete a PCT application independently, in a structured and organised manner.
- IP administrators and support staff
- Employees in industrial in-house IP departments and private practice
- Practitioners who would like a practical overview of the PCT application
Recent and future developments in the PCT System
- General, fees
- Where to file
- International Bureau and EPO as receiving Office
- Request, discription, claim, drawing, abstract and formal requirements
- Translation requirements
Electronic filing of PCT applications
- Restoration of the priority right, incorporation by reference of missing elements and other procedures for correction
Who can act as a PCT agent and represent the applicant
- Formal requirements
- Multible priorities
Recording of changes relating to the applicant, agent or the inventor
Amendments of the international application
- What to look for in the internationalsearch report andwritten opinion
- General, fees
- Preliminary report on patentability (Chapter II)
- Options to know about
- Fees and procedures
- Relevant time limits
- Important communications from the receiving Office and International Bureau
- Preventing or postponing the international publication
- Access to the file of the international application
Entry into the National Phase and Regional Phase
Procedure in case of deposited biological material and sequence listings
Originally from the UK, Pete has lived in the Netherlands for 30 years. After 5 years inhouse at ASML, he moved to the private practice DeltaPatents in 2007, dividing his time between patent work, management and training in European and PCT law. As partner, he was responsible for the procedures and functioning of their formalities group. He was one of the original tutors when DeltaPatents started training patent administrators, and passed the first exam himself in 2011 to become a Certified Formalities Officer (NL). He was also one of the first tutors to teach administrators at the EPO as part of their EPAC program. In 2017 he left DeltaPatents to start his own firm, Fireball Patents, providing cost-effective patent services to SME's and startups.
NL 1054 Amsterdam
Phone: +31 20 6075555
Fax: +31 20 60075511
We recommend that attendees have some experience in intellectual property, namely patents.
Attendees will gain the expertise required to correctly file and monitor a PCT application. This practical course doesn't deliver mere theory - it also provides you with comprehensive documentation from the speaker, including example letters and communications, which will be a valuable source of reference.
Good for juniors as education / for seniors as rehearsal.
Anette Lauri, Patent Administrator
Essity Hygiene and Health AB
A good course for organizing one?s knowledge or more in-depth introduction to the PCT filing and PCT procedure for filing officers provided experienced lecturer.
The theory was explained on the real example.
This course will provide guidance on the basics of professional trademark searches.
23. - 24.04.2020 in Amsterdam
This course provides drafting and negotiating advice for EU practitioners, with precise references to existing US law.
23. - 24.04.2020 in München
Our speaker, one of the leading SPC experts in Europe, will discuss the SPC referrals to the ECJ with you. He will put the decisions in context and will show you the consequences for national court practice and for your application practice.
07. - 08.05.2020 in Amsterdam
IP Strategy! - the interactive course which helps you setting up convincing IP strategy plans.
12. - 14.05.2020 in Heidelberg
First-hand update for patent practitioners & EQE candidates: Each year the boards of appeal of the European Patent Office hand down more than 2000 decisions. These decisions set the standard for interpreting and applying the European Patent Convention (EPC).
07.05.2020 in Amsterdam/Leiden