Toward proactive, aligned and long-term management of innovation and IP
- Be more proactive, away from ad-hoc approaches
- DIPS Matrix: analyzing relevant facts, generating options for a strategic choice
- DIPS Methodology: making IP plans with a multi-disciplinary approach (competition mapping, SWOT, metrics, planning)
- Opportunity to work either on paper (forms) or with online tool
- Reapply the tools for direct practice depending on (client‘s) company maturity/readiness
- Gradual approach (current portfolio mapping, understand the business and management goals, etc.)
Aims and objectivesDo you need to set up an IP strategy plan? Do you need to convince executives of the plan? Our interactive course provides you with the necessary tools. After a systematic overview of IP strategy (options, value, content), our speakers give you two practical tools: (1) an IP Matrix and (2) a step-by-step methodology called DIPS (Design IP Strategy) to outline a strategic plan for IP (the emphasis is on patents). An online tool is also introduced to ease implementation. The IP Matrix is the starting point. The DIPS methodology provides techniques to map the competition and to benchmark the performance of your current IP portfolio. After this practical and hands-on course, you will be able to apply the IP Matrix and the DIPS methodology immediately to your daily practice and you will know how to set up, present, implement and monitor an IP plan step by step.
- Fundamentals on IP management and strategy. Compare opportunistic vs. proactive. Key strategy models e.g. Porter
- Learn the DIPS Matrix as strategy-thinking tool to integrate business, innovation and IP
- Teamwork: apply the DIPS Matrix to actual cross-industry scenarios. Takeaways to reapply to own environment
- Build a strategic plan. Learn a step-by-step methodology to prepare an IP/innovation plan and monitor its execution. Link to the Matrix
- Apply to case study - 'renewable energy'
- Strategy-making as a project: insights from project management, scoping, and team setting
- Understand the business model
- Translate management goals into IP strategy options for value creation/capture
- IP mapping techniques: Analysis of patent data (lifecycle, competition etc.)
- Revisit the Matrix through the competition landscape
- Link to the value chain
- Gap analysis with the Matrix: Comparing business vision to current IP portfolio
- Derive options to bridge current-desired IP position
- Integrating outputs of the prioritized SWOT analysis into a practical, rationalized plan. Plan template provided
- Differentiate core vs. non-core activity for higher performance
- Prepare and present your plan to management.
- Presentation template provided
- Teams present their plan to the group and get feedback (online questionnaire - a collective learning report will be issued after the seminar for each team, with benchmark against 350+ prior participants)
- Strategy reports: other formats and examples
- Identifying and facing complexity in situations. Flexibility of DIPS tools. Gradual approach with real-life situations
- Teamwork: identify generic situations, first diagnostic, and design solutions using DIPS tools. Present and group discussion
- Final recommendations and tips
Dr. Arnaud Gasnier is CEO, a Senior Consultant and Founder of Patentopolis BV specialized in training/certifications, solutions and consulting in the area of IP management. Arnaud has practiced globally in various IP (patents, trademarks) departments and in various roles (Patent Attorney, Licensing Associate, Portfolio Manager, Associate General Counsel, Assistant Director) for 20+ years, e.g. for Swatch, Philips, Dutch contract research organization TNO, and Adidas. He is the author of ‘The Patenting Paradox’ and regular speaker at global conferences and seminars especially in the area of strategic IP management. Arnaud is regularly awarded, recently with IAM 300 - The World’s Leading IP Strategists (2017, 2018).
Nähere Informationen finden Sie hier.
Romano Beitsma is a Consultant for Patentopolis BV. He has over 25 years of experience in the field of IP, having worked at companies and patent firms, both in the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Nähere Informationen finden Sie hier.
Phone: +49 6221 1327-0
Fax: +49 6221 1327-100
We will send you a reader with details and instructions prior to the course. Thus, you can prepare the case studies and other assignments and get the most out of the course. 2 to 3 hours of preparation is suggested.
On the first evening of the course FORUM · Institut für Management GmbH is pleased to invite the participants to a behind-thescenes tour in the beautiful castle of Heidelberg, followed by a joint dinner in a traditional and cosy Heidelberg restaurant.
- Personalized collective feedback report for each team, based on individual feedback given during Day 3, and benchmarked against 350+ former participants.
- Free access to online portal DIPS for 1 month after the seminar. Online DIPS is an online platform to help companies, as well as consultancy and law firms, to design strategic plans for innovation generation, protection and exploitation. It helps collect and format multidisciplinary data on the (client’s) company. It provides support for data analysis using Patentopolis proven frameworks. It guides decision-making to elaborate a plan ready for implementation.
- Discount for certification DIPS: You can keep the focus with an in-house project after the seminar. During that project, you apply the Patentopolis’ frameworks to your own case, with guidance, review and final approval by the Patentopolis team. You start when you want. The recommended duration is 3 months. Upon completion, you receive a certification from Patentopolis.
Patentopolis BV is a unique provider specialized in innovation and IP management. We provide: learning solutions with innovative models and crossdisciplinarity tools; online solutions for daily management support; and consulting services for operational and strategic management of IP/innovation. We have a global presence and serve a great diversity of clients (corporates, SMEs, IP firms, consultancies, research organizations, patent offices and more). Patentopolis is regularly recognized with IP management firm awards from its peers in the industry.
'I like DIPS; it provides a practical, holistic approach to review the business case and identify potential dead weights in the portfolio. From there, it becomes possible to design objective metrics to put in place.'
'IP can be seen as delaying R&D projects, because clearly demonstrating how IP aligns with business strategy can be challenging. DIPS toolbox enables this; it gives a simple yet practical framework to help translate techno-business drivers into IP strategy options and continuously monitor alignment between IP and project objectives. DIPS workflows also help to measure (mis)alignment and to show it.'
Sasol (South Africa)
'I attended the Patentopolis strategy seminar 18 months ago and found the content very interesting and important. I have started
IP-strategy discussions with several clients and we started corresponding projects. My experience is that it takes a ‘change
of mindset’ for IP-Managers and CTOs/CEOs of SMEs to discuss on the IP strategy level. The insight I got from the Patentopolis
seminar helped me to keep the discussions with the clients on track. Also, the projects with the clients helped me to improve the
understanding of what they really need. Still, it takes a lot of time and patience to reach the goal of such strategy projects in SMEs. In that process, Patentopolis strategy seminar and tools are unique and I learnt a lot there to get to a practical useful end.'
Keller & Partner Patentanwälte AG (Switzerland)
'There is a real need for many companies to get a structured approach to IP strategy. That’s exactly what Patentopolis course on
IP strategy offers'
Onsagers AS (Norway)
'Patentopolis course on IP strategy was up to my expectations and as defined during the first hour of the course. The DIPS® matrix and methodology is a very powerful toolkit, which helps to visualize how to capture value and where to invest budget and resources in areas which are relevant to the company. At the same time, it is a simple tool which can be practically implemented in my company and is effective for conveying relevant IAM aspects to managers. I very much enjoyed the course and particularly its hands-on exercise approach. Thanks to the course, I have now a more realistic view of what IP strategy is.'
'What I liked the most from this 2.5-day course on IP strategy is the methodology DIPS for strategy making since it is very practical. This Patentopolis methodology gives a path to follow where to start, as well as how to analyse data and interact with other functions during the planning phase and after.'
ABB AB (Sweden)
'IP strategy is essential for business success, and I don’t want to rely on just gut feeling or hope as a strategy. Therefore, it makes
sense to follow an effective methodology like DIPS of Patentopolis, since this is a well-structured, clear and logical approach.
Evonik Nutrition & Care (Germany)
'This 2.5-day course on IP strategy is an important milestone for me and my company. The tools provided during this extensive
course will allow me to apply the methodology DIPS of Patentopolis in IP strategy project for my company. I will recommend this
course mainly to IP managers having limited IP experience with strategy-making. It gives a lot of materials on the methodology DIPS and also an opportunity for data crunching, which is exactly what I was looking for.'
Landa Corporation (Israel)
'Evaluating IP portfolios and meeting budget restrictions can be challenging, especially during organizational changes. DIPS tools
help to provide deep insights in IP goals, to focus on areas where to invest with value-add, and to communicate them within the organization. Patentopolis workshop is a perfect event to learn a useful methodology (DIPS) and apply it immediately in interactive cases.'
Thyssenkrupp Intellectual Property GmbH (Germany)