PCT Formalities [Advanced]
Goal-oriented Guide to the Formal Requirements
- Formalities actions contributing to:
- Reducing filing defects, reducing administration during national phases
- Fixing problems during search, unusual problems
- Improving quality and speed of patentability opinions
- Increasing value of application for applicant
- Smoothing national entry, including entry before EPO
Objectives of the course Advanced PCT FormalitiesThis advanced seminar aims to enhance the understanding of PCT formal requirements by discussing them in relation to specific goals. PCT can be used in many different ways. By explaining why each option is chosen, participants gain an in-depth appreciation of their contribution to the goals of the applicant, and the possible benefits and risks of each option.
Goals covered include reducing filing errors and defects, reducing administration during the national phases, fixing problems during search, improving the quality and speed of the patentability opinions, increasing the value of the application for the applicant, fixing unusual problems, and smoothing national entry.
Participants will have the opportunity to raise questions on all aspects of the procedure as it applies during the international phase and on entry into the national/regional phase.
- Legal Assistants
- Formalities Managers
Day 2: 9 am - 5 pm
- Main formalities steps in the PCT system
- Fatal errors to be avoided
- Best practices during preparation and filing
- Use of ePCT
- Selecting the receiving office
- Avoiding shortfalls when paying
- Using DAS for priority documents
- Rule 4.17 declarations
- Correcting obvious errors
- Changing data under rule 92bis
- Filing Article 19 amendments
- Responding to non-unity objections
- Paying additional search fees
- Dealing with a declaration of no search
- Overview of available remedies
- Restoration of priority
- Incorporation of missing parts
- Providing earlier search results to the international searching authority
- Use of PCT-direct
- Requesting a supplementary international search
- Filing a demand
- Filing third-party observations
- Speed and accuracy contributing to a positive opinion
- PCT and national actions to create provisional protection
- Accelerating, delaying or preventing publication
- Registering for licensing
- Early entry, in particular before the EPO
- Best practices in general
- Delaying national entry
- Optimising entry before the EPO
- Online services and electronic filing
- Application contents and formats
- Improving quality and speed
- Simplifying applicant actions
Originally from the UK, Pete has lived in the Netherlands for 30 years. After 5 years inhouse at ASML, he moved to the private practice DeltaPatents in 2007, dividing his time between patent work, management and training in European and PCT law. As partner, he was responsible for the procedures and functioning of their formalities group. He was one of the original tutors when DeltaPatents started training patent administrators, and passed the first exam himself in 2011 to become a Certified Formalities Officer (NL). He was also one of the first tutors to teach administrators at the EPO as part of their EPAC program. In 2017 he left DeltaPatents to start his own firm, Fireball Patents, providing cost-effective patent services to SME's and startups.
NL 1054 Amsterdam
Phone: +31 20 6075555
Fax: +31 20 60075511
- An in-depth understanding of PCT formalities, and how their actions contribute to the goals of the applicant.
- The opportunity to discuss complex issues with the expert.
Delegates will receive a course material folder containing comprehensive documentation provided by the speaker, which will be a valuable source of reference for the future.